22 Sep 2015

Organising my boardgames: Bora Bora

Starting off my segment of showing off my organising solution for various games is probably one of my more interesting solutions. When I kicked off this thing, my intention was to mainly box up the resources that you needed in the game and not really anything that was key to the game's set-up. With Bora Bora this originally meant only a few components initially made it into a box, but then I started rethinking the system a bit to see if there wasn't one more way to tweak it. Turns out there is.

Starting off with the inside of the box (after removing rules, player boards and game boards that usually resides on top), it doesn't look all that messy. Two utility boxes and a few bags. So it certainly looks tidy after I got through with it. 


Bagged items include game tiles, god cards, and the player pieces separated by colour. Easy to grab and get started with.




Next comes the resource box (I used a small container for this job), where each of the three wooden resources hold a compartment each, the other two are occupied by offerings and shells. Five game resources, five compartments. It was like the box was made for the job.



Next comes the more questionable set-up. I initially didn't think it could be done, considering most of the tiles in this box (I used a large container for this job) will be taken out and placed on the board itself, and a lot of them needs to be unknown to the players before assigned to the board. However, when I realised I could fit twelve tiles in the width of one of these compartments, I began to see a proper solution. Seeing as we need to add six new men and six new women tiles each round, we could have the game already set up coming out of the box, and by making the six men and six women tiles face towards the middle, the content of the tiles would be more or less blocked from view. To ensure it's random, random compartments can be picked and the tiles within the compartment could be shuffled before placed.



I found out that the green challenge tiles actually fit perfectly in the width of a compartment, meaning I could have them all face just one way, so at most only one tile would show its content, and since we don't need to draw more than a couple of tiles each round, this meant most of them could stay in the box, thus making clean-up easier. The jewellery fit into one single compartment, and since all of them are taken out at the start of the game, it doesn't matter which order they are put into the box in. The remaining compartments contains the light green easier challenges and player order tokens, and the other contains the fish tokens and temple tiles.

I haven't played the game with this new organisation scheme, but I'm very certain that it will shave off a lot of time otherwise dedicated to setting up the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment